On the occasion of our 200th escape game, we would like to share with you some of our favorite escape room experiences thus far. These are in no particular order (with the exception the first three which remain our favorites thus far). Drumroll please...
1. Mystique, Budapest, Hungary: Shogun's Shadow and the Cathedral
2. Clue Carre, New Orleans, Louisiana: Haunted Swamp and Voodoo Room
3. 60 OUT, Los Angeles, California: Titanic and Grandma's Master Plan
4. Grand Detectives Society, Santa Ana, California: Da Vinci's Lost Workshop
5. Exite Games, Helsinki Finland: Airplane and The Curse
6. Escape X, Irvine, California: Mystery of Murder Manor and Casino Heist
7. Roundabout Canada, Toronto: Final Destination
8. Great Room Escape, San Diego: Houdini's Hidden Workshop
9. Enchambered, Sacramento, California: Containment Breach
10. Palace Games, San Francisco, California: Great Houdini Escape and Roosevelt Escape Room
11. Enigma, West Hollywood, California: Crime Scene and The Secret Temple
12. Puzzah, Denver, Colorado: Kazaam, Tick-Tock and the Steal
13. The Game Room Adventure Cafe, Elk Grove, California: Ruins of the Tukanii
14. Entrapment, San Diego, California: The Disappearance at Fogmore Manor
15. The Locked Inn, Pismo Beach, California: The Locked Inn
16. Room Escape Live, West Hollywood, California: Prison Break and Cold War Bunker
17. Countdown Live, Los Angeles, California: Krampus and Tiki Palace
18. Bakersfield Escape Room, Bakersfield, California: Crimson Storm and Fresno Escape Room, Fresno, California: Pipeworks
19. Conundrum, Denver, Colorado: The Cabin
20. Escape Bryggen, Bergen, Norway: Hanseaticus, Crimson Hotel and La Diva Supernova
We are aware that people's opinions on the best escape rooms vary substantially. This is also quite the eclectic group of escape rooms reflecting the diversity of room escape experiences we have encountered. We know that an individual's game play experience greatly depends on the group that you play with as well as a variety of other factors that may vary from day to day. Accounting for those factors to the best of our ability, the above list represents our favorite escape rooms thus far.
A brief note about the factors we consider when evaluating an escape room: First, we are suckers for good set-design. We know how much work goes into this so we really appreciate it when we come across an amazing set. Second, logical and original puzzles matter and if they are aligned with the storyline, even better. Third, we enjoy unique storylines that engage us in the gameplay. Finally, an enthusiastic and helpful game master is always much appreciated. The escape rooms on this list do not necessarily hit all four of these targets, but they are among the best that we have played thus far.
Cover photo taken at Countdown Live .
We are escape room fanatics who have played over 300 games in the U.S. and Europe. We love the art of escapology and we wanted to share our adventures in playing room escapes with you!
Rooms Played: 360